Manufacture of POTATO Flour / Potato Powder
Setting up of a unit for manufacture of Potato Flour / Potato Powder & Potato Flakes.
About Product and its use: (it is a very versatile food product)
Potato Flour is used in bread, pancake and waffle recipes or as a thickener for smoother sauces, gravies and soups. Also used in fabricated Potato chips, Extruded Snacks, Snack Pellets, Battered breaded products etc. Also used in gluten-free and allergy cooking.Potato powder is increasingly being used in a variety of food preparations like snack foods (Mc Donald, Pringle, Haldiram namkeens etc.), soups, curries and other dishes as a thickening agent and Stir Fries. It has strong potato flavor. It can be a binding material for preparing kheer, tikki, chops, pakoda, cutlets, stuffed parotha, kofta and other products. Its use at present is mainly in hotels, restaurants, but acceptance in household is growing due to its inclusion in items like ready to cook soups, dals, curries, etc. It gives added flavors to curries. It can be used in Gulab Jamun, Puri and Paratha.
The potato powder is supplied in bulk to the manufacturers of the various snack food items and restaurants/ hotels. The major demand is in cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Nagpur, etc. The demand is much more than the supply at present and is likely to grow with the increasing popularity of the snack foods and other items where potato powder is used as input. It has good export potential also, and European countries are largest consumer of potato flour.
- All Five Star Hotels
- Major Snack Food Manufacturers
- Major Restaurants
- Retail Market (Shops / Malls)
- Export to many countries
- Many Buyers of potato powder / flour are available on B2B sites like, tradeindia.com, alibaba.com, indiamart.com etc.
Selling of potato flour:
(1) Whole sale in domestic market
Retail: - Packets of
(1) 250 gm. (2) 500 gm. (3) 1 kg. (4) 2 kg. (5) 5 kg.
(+ a free Book-let of Potato Flour Recipes.)
Production process and technology:
- Procurement of potato
- Control Feed
- Hydro Transporting
- Steam Cooking
- Ricing Mixing
- Drum Drying
- Particle Sizing
The plant and machinery can be used for producing other products like fruit powder, tomato powder, Garlic powder, etc. during off seasons.
Key risk factors:
>>Availability of adequate quantity of suitable cheap varieties, which are used for powder making (like Kufri Jyoti, Kufri Chipsona) is the major factor which could affect the project.
>>Availability of alternatives to potato powder for thickening like tapioca, corn starch etc., could affect the market of potato powder. However at present there is no problem
Quality control and Statutory Requirements
The unit needs to obtain a licence under FPO 1955 from the Ministry of Food Processing Industry
Clearance from State Pollution Control Board
Capacity of processing raw material (potato):
a) Model 1:- 500 kgs/ day for 90 days to 180 days per annum.
b) Model 2:- 12 MT/ day for 90 days to 180 days per annum.
c) Model 3:- 32 MT/ day for 90 days to 180 days per annum.
d) Model 4:- 90 MT/ day for 90 days to 180 days per annum.
Capacity utilization is assumed on 90 days basis as the storage facilities for these varieties are not commonly available. However, capacity utilization can be increased if the existing cold storages are modified suitably with an additional investment of about Rs 2000/ MT.
Potato powder recovery: 17% of the raw material.
Cost of raw material: Rs 2500 per MT including all materials.
Sale price of powder: Rs. 55000/ MT. to Rs 60000 / MT (depends on market)
20 HP to 60 HP depends on production capacity installed.
a) 50,000 litres per day to 5,00,000 litres per day depending on production capacity.
Model 1:- 25 Lakhs to 30 Lakhs (approx) for production of 500 Kgs / day
Model 2:- Rs 1 Cr (approx) for production of 12 MT/ day
Model 3:- Rs 2 Cr (approx) for production of 32 MT/ day
Model 4:- Rs 5 Cr (approx) for the production of 90 MT / day
Full Project Report Include the Following:
- About Project and Properties
- Uses & Application
- Project Cost and Economics
- B.I.S. Specifications
- Market Survey
- Raw Materials
- Manufacturing Process
- Process Description
- Process Flow Diagram
- Plant Layout
- Details of Plant & Machinery
- Suppliers of Raw Materials
- Suppliers of Plant & Machinery
- Principles of Plant Layout
- Plant Location Factors
- List of State Industrial Development Corporations (financial assistance)
- Suggested Steps
- Plant Economics
- Land and Building Costs
- Plant and Machinery Costs
- Other Fixed Assets
- Fixed Capital Investment
- Raw Material Costs
- Salaries and Wages
- Utilities and Overheads
- Total Working Capital
- Cost of Project
- Total Capital Investment
- Cost of Production
- Turnover per Annum
- Profitability Analysis
- 5-year Profit Analysis
- Break-even Point
- Resources of Finance
- Interest Installment Chart
- Depreciation Chart
- Cash Flow Statement
- These project reports contain general guidelines for the promoters of new projects.
- They are based on small factory considerations. Bigger manufacturing units will obviously entail higher costs than indicated in these reports.
- Cost of land (or rent for buildings) mentioned in each of these reports is only indicative. This is because the cost of land (or rent) varies from place to place, and also depends on the incentives given by the industrial development authorities in the state or zone concerned.
- Costs of machinery mentioned in the reports are rough estimates and are only indicative of machinery manufactured and/or procured within India.
Contact for Full and Customized Project Report for your location.
Full Project Implementation Consultancy is also provided.
Sample Packets of Other Manufacturers: